<
<
Paolo Ghilardi

Paolo Ghilardi was born in Bagnatica in 1930 and died in Bergamo in 2014. He attended the Industrial Technical Institute of Bergamo and the evening lessons of Achille Funi, director of the Carrara Academy. He took part in the most important Lombard events in the post-war period: in 1953 at the Dalmine Prize and in 1954 at the San Fedele Prize in Milan. Together with his friend Alberto Zilocchi, in the mid-1960s he took part in the meetings promoted by the International Center for Constructivist Art Studies in Antwerp-Bonn; it gave life to an increasing interest towards abstractionism and spatial and chromatic research. He develops the series of monochrome squares or in polychrome scale, with multiple or rotating planes, recovering and refining the experience of the European geometric tradition. Since the mid-70s, Paolo Ghilardi’s research has surpassed the surface of the canvas, taking possession of entire environments that become parts of the work of art: working on transparency, on virtuality and on the rational perception of things in space . Since 1977 he began teaching the Theory of color and painting at the Accademia Carrara of Bergamo and, in this city during the ’80s and’ 90s, he curated the urban decoration of the historic center, realizing remarkable restorations. The last years are dedicated to the practice of papier coupé and collage under plexiglas that Ghilardi develops mainly in medium and small format works.

Among his personal exhibitions in institutions we mention: ex Chiesa della Maddalena, Bergamo (2016), GAMeC, Bergamo (2007), Palazzo Municipale, Seriate (2006), Liceo Artistico Statale, Bergamo (2002). He also participates in numerous group exhibitions, including: Palazzo della Ragione, Bergamo (2003, 2002), Musée d’Art Moderne, Strasbourg (2000), Palazzo della Permanente, Milan (1994), Museu de Arte Brasileira, San Paolo (1986), Palazzo dei Diamanti, Ferrara (1984), Palazzo Reale, Genoa (1980), Museo de Arte Contemporàneo, Caracas and Centro Arte, Valencia (1976), International Center for Construction Art, Düsseldorf (1974).

His relationship with Galleria Fumagalli began in 1996 with the participation in the group exhibition “Uscita di sicurezza”. He continued in 1998 with the participation in “Insieme oltre una linea d’ombra”, a charity exhibition organized by Galleria Fumagalli, and in 1999 with the setting up of a personal exhibition at the gallery, accompanied by a catalog with texts by Claudio Cerritelli and Annamaria Maggi.